Thursday, November 5, 2009

Oat Bran Squares & Cookies

Best Blogger Tips
Known by different names worldwide, cookies are a favorite with all ages, especially kids. Most English speaking countries except North America knows them as biscuits. In Spain they are known as galletas, and Kels in Germany. They stay well and a great snack on the move or over tea.
Finding myself home alone one day and in the mood to bake something I glanced upon some of my old recipe books that I have collected and saved up since my college days. Coincidentally, I opened up one of the handouts which my baking instructors had given about cookies. Armed with a few recipes and the motivation to bake some healthy cookies that I could use as an alternative to my late night junk food munching, I set about baking some oat bran cookies. My first lot was a traditional cookie. For the second lot, I poured the dough into a well greased mold cut it into squares and put it in the oven.
In my previous posts, I have already written about the health benefits of oat bran. These cookies have also resulted in me getting off the habit of munching junk food while watching late night TV and reaching for a healthy alternative. I think granola bars are up on my must try list now.


Oat Bran Cookies (or Squares)

Ingredients:

Refined flour - 2 Cups
Oat bran - 1/2 Cup
Baking Soda - 1 Tsp
Salt - 1/2 Tsp
Brown sugar - 3/4 Cup
Granulated sugar - 3/4 Cup
Butter, softened at room temperature - 1/2 Cup
Eggs - 2
Vanilla Essence - 1 Tsp
Chopped walnuts - 1/4 Cup
Raisins - 1/4 Cup

Method:

Note: To make squares, drop the dough in a rectangular or square baking dish and cut into squares with a bread knife. bake as usual.

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Laundry Detergent Coupons