Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Cuppa Zuppa

Best Blogger Tips
My parents are crazy over soups. It's not uncommon to walk in at 7:30-8 in the evening and see them having soup and offering you a generous helping of one. I have never taken a liking for soups but love making them.
This week in Minneapolis the weather at the beginning was not too great ..it was fairly windy and chilly...in short the perfect time to make soup. The ingredients required were not too many and I quickly picked up the ones needed to stir up some good Italian style tomato soup. Staying in a suite with kitchen has its advantages and I make it a point during my visits to book myself in one. That way I can eat out when I want to and cook in when I feel like.
Please do not read too much into the photographs. I haven't carried my camera along and these are all courtesy my phone camera. I also take the liberty to attach a few photographs of what I clicked roaming around the downtown area, and it's not too much ...since it's only a office and back to Hotel routine. Maybe I'll explore the city more this weekend and cook up some more delicacies to post. Till then, Bon Apetit or in this case Buon Appetito (In Italian) !!!

Zuppa Di Pomodoro

Ingredients:
Ripe Tomatoes, roughly Cut - 6
Onions, chopped fine - 2
Garlic cloves, crushed - 4
Chicken Stock - 1 Cup (Optional)
Basil leaves, chopped - 3 Tblsp
Thyme Sprigs - 2 Tblsp(Some people use Parsley instead)
Cayenne Pepper - 1/4 Tsp
Black Pepper, freshly ground - 3 Tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Salt - To taste
Sugar - 1 Tsp
Olive Oil - 2 Tblsp

Method:
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the bayleaf. Fry for a minute.
2. Add in the onions and garlic. Cook till they turn translucent and starting to turn slight golden.
3. Add in the tomatoes, salt, sugar, basil and thyme. Stir.
4. Bring this to a boil. Let the tomatoes cook fully and start to disintegrate.
5. Take the pot off the flame and allow to cool a little.
6. Put the soup in a blender and puree. ( I prefer passing this mixture through a sieve first, to remove seeds and skin).
7. Put the pureed soup back on the flame.
8. Add in the chicken stock. ( Vegetarians can exclude this step).
9. Add in the Black pepper and cayenne pepper. Add in the remaining basil just before taking off flame (2 mins).
10. Serve hot.

Note: You can garnish the soup with some sprinkled grated cheese on top and croutons.

2 comments:

Finla said...

Here we have soup for every lunch, a habbit my hubby had when he was at his parents place. For me i don't have to have everyday, but hubby and daughte rloves to have a sup every afternoon.
Your parents sounds like my inlaws they too wull even have a cup of soup even by 10 in the evening .

Gaurav said...

It's so comforting to know I'm not the only one with a bowlfull of soup every evening. This soup is perhaps the only one that I can have anytime ...the rest need an occasion like freezing cold or rain.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Laundry Detergent Coupons