Beetroots ...I've probably had them once in my life, in a salad....when I was a kid. Loved it then but somehow stayed away from them especially the cooked dishes. My wife and son have it once a week. Tells you a lot about parental influences on the children. Beetroots never entered my parents home...thus my aversion to them. Even liking fish took a long time for me as it never entered our house. My mother had a phobia about getting choked on a fish bone. She still has it...I moved on as I entered the food industry and started with continental kitchen. Fish is a separate course altogether in a traditional french cuisine.
Getting back to beetroots, here is one dish that my wife makes and both she and my son enjoy ... I typically stay from it.
Beetroot - 250 gm
Mustard Seeds (Rai) - 2 Tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) - Pinch
Cumin Seeds (Zeera) - 1 Tsp
Turmeric Powder(Haldi) - 1 Tsp
Corriander Powder - 2 Tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 2 Tsp
Urad Dal - 1 Tblsp
Salt - To Taste
Oil - 15 ml
1. Peel the beetroot and cut it into 1-in dices. Boil in water.
2. Once boiled, drain and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard seeds. Once they start sputtering, add in Cumin seeds, followed by urad dal.
4. Add in asafoetida, salt, corriander powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
5. Once the masalas are cooked add in the beetroot pieces.
6. Cover and cook till done.
7. Serve with rice/rotis ...and lemme know how it turned out.