Saturday, November 24, 2007

Just Beet It !

Best Blogger Tips
Beetroots ...I've probably had them once in my life, in a salad....when I was a kid. Loved it then but somehow stayed away from them especially the cooked dishes. My wife and son have it once a week. Tells you a lot about parental influences on the children. Beetroots never entered my parents home...thus my aversion to them. Even liking fish took a long time for me as it never entered our house. My mother had a phobia about getting choked on a fish bone. She still has it...I moved on as I entered the food industry and started with continental kitchen. Fish is a separate course altogether in a traditional french cuisine.
Getting back to beetroots, here is one dish that my wife makes and both she and my son enjoy ... I typically stay from it.

Beetroot Fry

Ingredients:
Beetroot - 250 gm
Mustard Seeds (Rai) - 2 Tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) - Pinch
Cumin Seeds (Zeera) - 1 Tsp
Turmeric Powder(Haldi) - 1 Tsp
Corriander Powder - 2 Tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 2 Tsp
Urad Dal - 1 Tblsp
Salt - To Taste
Oil - 15 ml

Method:
1. Peel the beetroot and cut it into 1-in dices. Boil in water.
2. Once boiled, drain and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard seeds. Once they start sputtering, add in Cumin seeds, followed by urad dal.
4. Add in asafoetida, salt, corriander powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
5. Once the masalas are cooked add in the beetroot pieces.
6. Cover and cook till done.
7. Serve with rice/rotis ...and lemme know how it turned out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.Beetroots. I had some in the fridge - tiny baby ones, about small walnut size. I had planned to so something simple with them - you know, some butter, black pepper and maybe some horseradish. But you fired up my love of spice and, all of a sudden, out with the wok.

This was yummy! I made it with some borlotti beans and the beetroot. I used some home made masala rather than the coriander and chilli. The rest was the same. IT WAS DELICIOUS and disappeared very very quickly. I don't know how you resist it.

Srivalli said...

wow...your son eats beet also??..great..if only my daughter does!...I also never had beet before marriage cos mom never made...my mil on other hand wants to have this every week...so got used to it now...:D

TBC said...

We make this all the time. I also add some grated coconut towards the end of the cooking process.

Gaurav said...

Thanks so much for your comments ...its great to know that you all love beetroot ...it might just motivate me to try them out :-)
Vegeyum, my wife also uses some sambhar powder in it. Might just wanna try it out.

Anonymous said...

I have a post on making your recipe. Thank you again for the inspiration. I loved this so much it has become part of standard fare in The House of Ginger (as a friend calls my place).

I am going to try the coconut hint from tbc, and also use sambar - currently I am using my own mix.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Laundry Detergent Coupons