Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Baked Figs ...What the Fig did I do ???

Best Blogger Tips
Returning to my commitment of trying new variations with fruits as I had promised on my poached pears post, this time I tried something with figs. More than anything, it was my curiosity. I had always eaten dried figs and used it in my cooking, but had never ventured to even taste fresh figs. Everytime that I went to the grocery store, a pack of fresh packed figs stared me in my face...begging to be tried (:-D).
Verdict - I think figs are an acquired taste ...atleast for me.

Ingredients:

Fresh Figs (Stemmed and quartered) - 4-6 Numbers
Sugar - 3 Tblsp
Honey - 4 Tblsp
Whisky - 90 ml
Butter - 1 Tblsp
Ginger - 1 Tsp

Method:
1. Melt butter in a pan and add in whisky, ginger, honey and water. Stir till honey dissolves and the mixture thickens a bit.
2. Dip the fig pieces in this liquid ...er...sauce :-) . Keep aside. ( This is to moisten the figs ... I typically soak them for a good 5 mins to let them soak in the liquid and retain some of it ).
3. Pour the sauce in a shallow baking dish.
4. Roll the figs in sugar to coat them. Put them in the baking dish.
5. Bake at 200o for 10 mins or till sugar has caramelized and set in.
6. Serve hot or cold with ice cream, with the sauce ladled on top.

10 comments:

Srivalli said...

Gaurav, this is surely one innovative dish...and using whiskey!..I guess that adds extra zing!

amna said...

i am yet to taste fresh figs and make something with them :)

Gaurav said...

Just as I said..it's an acquired taste...felt very different tasting fresh figs ...but then variety is the spice of life :-)
As an afterthought...add in more sugar if you have a sweet tooth.

Seema Bhat said...

Gaurav, where did you happen to find fresh figs? I did taste them just once at Paris and it was so delicious and plump.

Gaurav said...

Seema, am in hyderabad these days. Fresh Figs are staring at you from shelfs at every grocery store here :-).
What you had in Paris were probably Maison (Mission) figs...those are plump and juicy and black ( if they weren't ..probably some other variety then) ...the ones you get here are relatively drier and green.

Gaurav said...

Also Seema...you are based in the US ...californian figs are extremely popular and so are lemon figs that u get in South Carolina

Mansi said...

Hey Gaurav! first time here..and glad to ahve discovered you and your blog:) not many men in my foodie-friend's list:) this fig recipe looks really nice...I've made a similar one using brown sugar and champagne before, as living in CA I get to buy fresh figs:D

I love Figs!!! i make fig ice cream quite often..and now I'd like a bite of your figs:)

Gaurav said...

Hey Thanks Mansi ...lemme know how it turns out.
You can let me in on the Fig ice-cream recipe and I can try it out...getting figs in abundance here..and I love to turn the kitchen upside down :-D

KayKat said...

Mmmm ... figs! *so* good! I want some now, kind of hard to stumble upon dark figs in seattle right now :(

Love that post title too!

bee said...

figs are my fav fruit. any recipe with them is welcome. we've added you to our blogroll.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Laundry Detergent Coupons