Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Carrot Idli ( Steamed Carrot Rice Cake)

Best Blogger Tips
Truthfully I haven't been much of an Idli fan. To put it more clearly, contrary to the typical Indian guy who dotes on all Udipi fare like Dosas, Vadas, Idli & Sambhar, I can comfortably count myself out. Having said this, my wife has had a single purpose of ensuring I take to liking it, just like our son has (Idlis are his staple breakfast item). To reach her end goal, I have been subject to different variations of Idli over the past few years...fried idli, keema idli, prawn idli, tuna idli and now carrot idli.
Frankly all the above have been fairly well received by me. Guess, it's the plain jane stuff that bores my appetite.
I think I'll put it on record to say that this time I have had no hand in the preparation of the Idlis except clicking the photos and posting the recipe here.
Ingredients:
For the Batter:
Idly Rice - 3 Cups
Urad Dal - 1 Cup
Fenugreek Seeds (Methidana) - 1/4 Tsp
Rice Flakes - 1/2 Cup

Carrot (Grated) - 1
Basil - 1 Tsp
(I think you could try it out by adding thyme too!)
Salt To Taste

Oil ( for oiling the Idli Moulds)

Method:
1. Soak the Idly Rice, Urad Dal and Fenugreek seeds for 3-4 hours in water ( 1.5 times more water).
2. Now we have to grind this soaked mixture. Just before grinding mix in the rice flakes to the soaked mixture. Grind to a coarse paste.
3. Allow this to ferment for 10-12 hours.
4. Now mix the grated carrot,basil and salt.
5. Steam the Idlis in a Idli Steamer.
6. Serve with Tomato/Peanut/Coconut Chutney.

Note: You can substitute Carrots with Keema (minced Meat) too.
If you do not have a Idly Steamer, steam it in any deep dish. What's in the shape anyways? :-)
I am gonna post a few more variations more or less over the next few weeks, to let you have a look at the steaming process.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks very nice.. but will the carrot cook just by 5 min steaming?
waiting for your other idli posts..

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Laundry Detergent Coupons