Aloo Gosht Ka Saalan
Mutton/Lamb, pref. from shoulder, cut into 1.5" cubes - 750 Gms.
Baby Potatoes, washed, peeled and reserved in a bowl of water - 16
Clarified Butter (Ghee) - 90 Gm.
Green Cardamoms - 6
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon (1") - 2
Bay Leaf - 2
Ginger Garlic Paste - 6 Tsp.
Yogurt - 1 Cup
Coriander Powder - 2 Tsp.
Red Chili Powder - 1 Tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 Tsp
Fried Onion Paste - 60 Gm.
Fried Garlic Paste - 15 Gm.
Cashewnut Paste - 20 Gm.
Melon Seed Paste (Magaz) - 15Gm.
Mutton/Lamb Stock - 6 Cups
Black Pepper, freshly powdered - 1/4 Tsp.
Green Cardamom Powder - 1/2 Tsp.
Nutmeg Powder - 1/4 Tsp.
Cumin Powder - 1/4 Tsp.
Kewra - 2 drops
Ginger, cut into juliennes - 1"
Fresh Coriander, chopped - 1 Tblsp
Lemon Juice - 2 Tblsp
1. Cut the ginger into Juliennes and soak them in lemon juice. Reserve for garnish later.
2. Heat the ghee in a handi or a large heavy bottomed pan. Add in the whole spices and stir.
3. Ad the green cardamom changes color, add in the mutton/lamb pieces and salt. Increase flame to high and cook to sear meat for 2 minutes.
4. Reduce flame to medium and add in the ginger-garlic paste. Cook, stirring intermittently till moisture evaporates. (Around 5-8 minutes).
5. Whisk the yogurt with coriander, turmeric and red chili powder.
6. Take the meat off the flame and add in the whisked yogurt mixture, stirring at the time. Put back on flame and cook till the fat leaves the sides . (Around 6-7 Minutes).
7. Add in the fried onion and garlic pastes. Cook till fat leaves the sides. (Around 4-5 minutes).
8. Add the cashew and melon seeds paste. Mix well and cook for a minute.
9. Add in the mutton/lamb stock. Bring the gravy to a boil and add in the baby potatoes.
10. Mix well and bring the gravy to a boil again. Reduce flame to low an cover and simmer, stirring occasionally till meat and potatoes are cooked.
11. Remove the meat and potatoes and pass the gravy through a strainer. Put back on flame and cook till the gravy has a thin saucy consistency.
12. Add in the meat and potatoes. Sprinkle the black pepper, cumin, nutmeg powders and the kewra. Stir,adjust the seasoning and remove from flame.
13. Serve hot garnished with ginger juliennes and chopped coriander.