This post comes a little late as winters are almost over and the best part of winters must be sitting at home in the evenings and having hot soup. Since I have discovered the joys of sweet potato this season, it was but natural to have a sweet potato soup. It is hearty and comforting for a cold wintery evening and you must try it out either immediately before the summers have set in totally or for the next time winters set in.
Sweet Potato Soup
(Makes 4 Portions)
Sweet Potatoes, - 3-4
Onion, chopped - 1
Leek, chopped - 1/2 Cup
Carrots, peeled and chopped - 1
Celery, chopped - 1/2 Cup
Garlic, chopped - 2 cloves
Red Wine - 1 Cup
Chicken Stock - 2 Cup
Black Pepper, freshly ground - 2 Tsp
Olive Oil - 2 Tblsp
Cream - 1/2 Cup
1. Prepare the Sweet Potatoes - Put the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add 2 Tsp of salt and put on flame. Bring to a boil and simmer till they are soft. Take off flame and drain the water. Allow to cool. Once they are cool, peel them and cut them into quarters.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add onions, celery, leek, garlic and carrots. Cook them till they are cooked.
3. Add in the red wine and cook till the wine evaporates. Scrape any brown bits stuck to the pan.
4. Add in the sweet potatoes to the pot and then the stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low flame for another 20 minutes.
5. Take off flame and allow to cool. Put into a processor and Puree until smooth. Pass through a strainer.
6. Return the pureed soup back to the flame. Add in the cream and seasoning.
7. Serve hot garnished with sweet potato chips or straws.