Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oat Bran Muffins

Best Blogger Tips
Cooking at home is a great stressbuster and relaxation technique for many. Cooking with your kids is a great way to bond with them. Not only are you spending time together but are also creating something new. It is also very educational for your kids. They feel a part of something important and learn new things. It also personally, solves a big problem for me. My kids are very fussy and choosy eaters. When they help me in the kitchen, they want to try out their creation (that's the important part ...the kids made it, not you ).
Last weekend was one such bonding time for me with my kids and what better than baking. Baking is a great way to teach them counting, measuring, time and so on. We baked muffins ...and that too Oat Bran muffins. I found this great recipe on Joyofbaking and since I had oat bran in the kitchen, we decided to give it a try.
Bran is the hard outer layer of grain and is rich in nutrition. Oat bran is the edible, outermost layer of the oat kernel. They are rich in B complex vitamins, protein, minerals & a heart healthy soluble fiber. They are known to lower cholesterol levels by as much as 25% over 1-3 months when taken regularly. The muffins made with oat bran are easy to make and taste delicious.

Oat Bran Muffins

Ingredients:

Whole wheat flour - 1 Cup
Oat bran - 1 Cup
Brown sugar - 1/3 Cup
Baking powder - 1.5 Tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 Tsp
Salt - 1/4 Tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 Tsp
1 large egg
Honey - 60 ml
Vanilla essence- 1 Tsp
Refined oil - 2 Tblsp
Milk - 300 ml
Raisins - 1/2 Cup

Method:


Cool on a wire rack.



1 comments:

Helen T said...

I agree with you completely about getting kids involved in the kitchen. My daughter is not a fussy eater, and I think that's partly because she's been in the kitchen from a young age. Mind you, I think it's less relaxing cooking when the kids are around, but there are other wonderful dividends!

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Laundry Detergent Coupons