Monday, October 20, 2008

Bharwan Aloo Chutneywale (Stuffed Potatoes in a Chutney gravy)

Best Blogger Tips
The last week has been busy. As my innings in Hyderabad come to a close, almost every day has been a mad rush. Day before,I went to the golf course and then Dheeraj (My golf Buddy) and me decided to catch up on some exciting meal. By the time we got through the meal, it was already 7 PM and I had to go for my farewell dinner which had been organized by my peers. Early next day morning we went to Srisailam and it was a hectic but wonderful trip. We managed to have the Abhishekam done and I could touch and pray to the Jyotirlinga. You cannot imagine the spirituality and calmness it provides. The aura in the sanctum has to be felt. Last night, my managers had organized a farewell dinner. So after driving back to Hyderabad,I straight away headed there. It felt both good & bad to meet them. Bad since I was leaving them and good, for the fact that I was leaving behind a real professional group of folks.
Coming to the recipe, this one's a sure killer. Potatoes occupy a special place in our house given my better half's love for them. This ensures that I am forever scouting for new potato recipes. This one immediately caught my attention.The richly stuffed potatoes, the tangy and spicy gravy all made for a star dish. We made it last to last week, the busy schedule prevented me from posting it earlier.

Bharwan Aloo Chutneywale

Ingredients:

Potatoes, Medium, Peeled and cut into barrel shapes - 750 gm
Paneer, shredded - 120 gm
Green Chilies, minced finely - 4
Ginger, grated - 1 Tsp
Cashewnuts, crushed - 7
Raisins - 15-20
Coriander - 150 gm
Raw Mangoes, peeled & chopped- 30 gm
Mint - 75 gm
Boiled Onion paste - 1 Cup
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 4 Tblsp
Cumin powder - 1.5 Tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1.5 Tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 2 Tsp
Tomatoes, Pureed - 1/2 Cup
Yogurt, whisked - 1.5 Cup
Cashew Paste - 4 Tblsp
Salt - To Taste
Oil - For Deep frying
Ghee - 2 Tblsp

Method:
1. Heat Oil in a Kadhai (wok). Deep fry potatoes till three-fourths done.
2. Remove and cool the potatoes. Scoop out the centre leaving around 1/4' from the sides.
3.Keep Aside.
4. Now prepare the filling by mixing the grated paneer, finely chopped green chillies, grated ginger and crushed cashews & raisins. You can also add in some of the scooped potato after frying it a little & mashing it.
5. Stuff this filling in the potatoes.
6. Put the mangoes, mint and coriander in blender and process.
7. Heat ghee in the kadhai. Add in the boiled onion paste. Stir for a minute.
8 Add in the ginger-garlic paste. Stir for 2-3 minutes or till fat separates.
9. Add in the cumin powder, stir for a minute.
10. Add in the mango-mint-coriander paste and red chili powder. Stir for 30 seconds.
11. Add in the whisked yogurt, a cup of water and mix well. Bring mixture to boil.
12. Lower the heat, add in the potatoes and simmer till potatoes are done.
13. Add in the pureed tomatoes. Stir for a minute.
14. Add in the garam masala and cashew paste. Bring to a boil.
15. Add in the salt and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
16. Serve hot with naan or roti.

6 comments:

Finla said...

This is one of the most delicous potato recipe i have seen.
Looks really yummy

Anonymous said...

that's a great recipe Gaurav! I've eaten these at a restaurant and have wanted to recreate them for some time now..thanks for the inspiration!:)

Sagari said...

delecious potato curry gurav

Medhaa said...

This is a lovely recipe

jayasree said...

Mouthwatering recipe..

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I know these aren't good for my hips but its absolutely delicious.
I have used this stuffing inside mashed potatoes to make kofta but never this way.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Laundry Detergent Coupons